Massachusetts Barber / Styling Program Course Outline
1000 Hour Program
This course is designed to teach students all aspects of Barber/Styling. Barber/Styling refers to the performance of those techniques and arts, such as haircutting, styling, shaving, massage, facial treatments, and the trimming of facial hair. Which make up the major services performed by a Barber/Stylist. This program is measured in clock hours, where the student receives one clock hour for every hour in class.
Classroom theory is conducted daily to provide students with the fundamental knowledge they need to progress through the practical, hands on training received in the clinic. Instructional methods that maybe used include; transparencies, handouts, diagrams, videos and slides.
Milady’s Standard Textbook of Professional Barber-Styling, copyright 2006.
The Barber Styling program is designed to train students in all the skills and knowledge necessary to pass the apprentice exam required by the Massachusetts State Board of Barbering. With this knowledge, the student will be able to perform all of the clinical skills needed to function effectively in today’s Barber Shop.
Academic Progress is measured in both practical and written work. There is no effect on Satisfactory Progress for incomplete, repetitions, and non-credit remedial work. Practical Work is evaluated on a PASS/FAIL system for the first 30% of a student's Course Hours, the remaining 70% is evaluated by using the Grading System below.
Written Exams are evaluated by using the above Grading System, which is used throughout the life of each course of study. Any exam, which is graded lower than 80%, may be subject to a re-take exam.
|Unit of Instruction||Hours|
|Tapered & Styled haircutting||400|
|Honing & Stropping||10|
|Scalp Treatment & Scalp Manipulations||15|
|Mustaches & Beards||20|
|Sanitation, sterilization & bacteriology||80|
|Chemical hair relaxing||40|