Do you offer Financial Aid?
Yes, we offer financial assistance to individuals that qualify for it. See our financial aid page for more info.
Do I need to provide my own Equipment?
All of your equipment and text books are provided for you, and are included in your total course cost.
Is there a dress code?
Yes, there is a dress code at Rob Roy Academy. A black Rob Roy Academy smock with name tag must be worn at all times with solid black pants or skirts, shirts may be any color. The more specific aspects of the dress code can be found in the student handbook or as a handout from the admissions office.
When does your next class start?
You may apply for enrollment at any time. New school terms begin the first Monday of each month, unless the 1st Monday is a holiday. School is in session throughout the year with the exception of the following holidays; New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day (Victory Day in RI only).
What do I need to sign up for school?
Each applicant must:
- be 16 years of age or older in MA, or 18 years of age in RI.
- have either a high school diploma or a GED, and must provide your diploma, or GED and transcripts for either one, to the school prior to enrollment.
- interview with an admissions representative to determine your suitability for the program.
- complete all required forms in preparation for enrollment day. Rob Roy will not actively recruit students attending or admitted to another school offering a similar program of study.
Will you help me find a job when I graduate?
Rob Roy‘s placement policy is to give employment assistance to graduates regardless of the date of their graduation. Rob Roy Academy employs a placement advisor who is careful to take into consideration the qualifications of its graduates, and its responsibilities to the shop/salon owner. Rob Roy Academy does not guarantee employment or specific salaries upon graduation.
Is housing available?
No, unfortunately we do not offer housing at any of our locations.
How long will it take to graduate?
Depending on the course and schedule selected you can graduate anywhere from 4-18 months. Please see course details for more specific information.
What happens if I have a vacation planned?
A student may be granted a Leave of Absence in compliance with the laws governing and handed down by either state or federal agencies. All Leaves of Absence must be requested in writing, stating the reason for and the length of time of the leave.
I have a poor credit rating. Will this hurt my child’s chances of getting a student loan?
No, the only way the applicant would be hurt by a poor credit rating is if he or she is in default on a previous student loan. Parents, however, could be denied a Federal PLUS Loan on the basis of credit history.
If I am awarded financial aid, when will I get the money?
Financial aid funds are distributed at certain intervals in your program as long as you have met the required criteria, which consist of satisfactory attendance and grade point average. No loans will be issued until you have been in school for at least 30 days.
Documentation you may need for a financial aid appointment at Rob Roy
- Complete signed copy of Federal income tax return & W-2’s for the previous year
- Verification of untaxed income for previous year
- AFDC/ADC Benefits for previous year
- Dependent students (un-married, no children, under age 24) also bring:
- Parents’ complete, signed, copy of Federal income tax return & W-2’s for the previous year
- Parents’ verification of untaxed income for previous year
- Parents’ AFDC/ADC Benefits for previous year
- Parents’ Social Security Benefits for previous year
Our family makes over $50,000 a year. Does this mean we are not eligible for financial aid?
Not necessarily. There are loans that families of all incomes can qualify for. There are a number of factors in addition to your household income that determine if you are eligible for financial aid.
What happens if I don’t repay my student loan?
If you fail to repay your loan according to the terms disclosed on your promissory note, you are considered to be in default.
- The default will be reported to at least one national credit bureau and your credit rating will be damaged for as long as seven years. This will make it difficult for you to borrow money for a car or home.
- You may be required to pay the entire amount of the loan, including interest immediately.
- Your wages may be withheld to pay your debt. Possessions may be seized.
- You will be unable to get additional federal or state financial aid, including student loans.
- You may no longer be eligible for revised payment schedules or deferments.
- The loan may be referred to a collection agency, and you may be held liable for collection costs.
- Your federal and state tax refunds may be withheld.
Do I have to make payments on my student loan while I’m in school?
In most cases, you can postpone payments while you are in school. You may, however, choose to pay any interest that accrues on an unsubsidized loan.
Types of Financial Aid Available
Rob Roy Academy is a federally approved school. This means that you have access to both Federal and State financial assistance programs. In addition, Rob Roy Academy has an interest-free payment plan available. Financial aid is subject to the availability of funds. The financial aid programs listed below are available for students who qualify for programs over 600 hours long:
- Grants – (usually only Federal or State funded)
- Student loans
- Scholarships – (usually free money and not required to be repaid)
A financial grant is a specific amount of money given for your educational needs and usually does not require repayment.
- Pell Grants
- Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
- State Grants
- Part Time State Grants
A student loan is a specific amount of money borrowed for your educational needs, and must be repaid with interest.
- Subsidized Direct Loan or Unsubsidized Direct Loan
- Parent Plus Loan
Scholarships are given by all types of institutions based on financial need, academic ability or outstanding talent. With a little hard work, you can uncover thousands of private scholarships available through various companies, organizations, and clubs. Your eligibility for these programs is determined from the results of a financial aid application. Be assured that the Financial Aid office will assist you with every detail of the application.
Assistance will be provided to any registered student in completing all financial aid application materials.
- Students applying for financial aid must be either a U.S. Citizen, National or Recognized alien.
- Financial Aid is available to eligible students who are enrolled at least part-time in an eligible program.
- Students receiving funding must maintain satisfactory progress, not owe a refund or repayment on prior financial aid, and not be in default on a Federal loan program.